Book: Stephen King On Writing




"If you want to be a writer, you must do two things above all others; read a lot and write a lot. There's no way around these two things that I'm aware of, no shortcut."

Yes, Mr. King, I hear you. This is one advice that I'll always remember.


Science-Fiction, Fantasy and Horror are not my favourite genre; which is why I have never read any of his books. But this book does not fall into any of those genres. Part autobiography and part writing guide, it gives readers a glimpses into his childhood and his creative process. 

This is no rigid, formal literary book on writing. Kings shares his experiences, and I found it very inspiring, useful and relevant. 

The writing is simple and direct, a style that he advocates. There are many good 'tips' that he shares such as 'toolbox' (vocabulary, grammar, etc) that writers need and one that I remembered particularly - the usage of adverb and passive voice. 


I plan to reread this book again.


Highly recommend for anyone who is interested in writing. 



Popular Posts